Encouraged by her sister, my wife ordered the weekly shop online for the first time last week. She seemed to get frustrate at certain points asking for help, but in the end she completed the order and set the delivery for Thursday.
Job done, now all she had to do is to sit back and wait for the nock on the door.
When the order arrived, she was quiet shocked to see the size and quantity of some items she had ordered:
- 3 large broccoli trees enough to do a Sunday roast for the hole extended family
- 2 big boxes of size 4 nappies, only hope my son doesn’t grow over the next 2 months
- 3 big pieces of ginger which should last us till Christmas as my wife doesn’t really like ginger
- 2 packets of grapes, this was a results as the kids love grapes
- 2 packets of large apples when normally we would get the small ones for the kids
- A great big bag of basmati rice
- Well you get the picture…
Over ordering on your first shop seems to be pretty common practise with the people I have talked to. A chap at work ended up with two big carrier bags of aubergines. Even the delivery man said “you seem to like a lot of broccoli in your family? Don’t worry I made the same mistake on my first order”
So is this poor UX Design or master plan to make more sales?
Whichever it is, it is a learning curve, for the new weekly online shoppers.